(UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Steve Meyers steve-plug at spwiz.com
Tue Apr 15 12:15:52 MDT 2008

Grant Robinson wrote:
> My experience with UTOPIA has been nothing but positive.  XMission is
> the provider I have used, and they have been great.  I have other
> friends and co-workers who are on it, and they all love it.  If you want
> a SYMMETRIC connection and want it in the > 2 Mbps range, they are the
> ONLY game in town.  I would be very sad indeed if they pulled the plug.
> I am always wary of these types of emails.  I read through it, and it
> was interesting to see an email that read like propaganda accusing
> UTOPIA of having propagandists. :)  I think the truth of the matter is
> somewhere in between.

This is the best write-up I've seen about it:

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695267836,00.html

It seems that they're actually just consolidating two loans into one,
and extending the term.

According to that story, UTOPIA has reached the "break-even point", with
the revenue matching their operations budget.  All new subscribers will
help them pay down debt, rather than just helping to fund operations.
I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but it sounds like they're in
a better position than iProvo.