(UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Tue Apr 15 12:10:56 MDT 2008

On 15 Apr 2008, at 11:51, Grant Robinson wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
>> For anyone that does not get these messages, I thought it would be
>> interesting to get the opinions of the group.  I am still waiting
>> after several years for UTOPIA to pull into my neighborhood.  My
>> opinion is, pull the plug and sell the existing service off to a
>> private company.  I will not support a raise in tax for UTOPIA.
>
> My experience with UTOPIA has been nothing but positive.  XMission
> is the provider I have used, and they have been great.  I have other
> friends and co-workers who are on it, and they all love it.  If you
> want a SYMMETRIC connection and want it in the > 2 Mbps range, they
> are the ONLY game in town.  I would be very sad indeed if they
> pulled the plug.  I am always wary of these types of emails.  I read
> through it, and it was interesting to see an email that read like
> propaganda accusing UTOPIA of having propagandists. :)  I think the
> truth of the matter is somewhere in between.

It read like propaganda to me as well.  That is one reason I was
looking for comments.  I have also heard good from people lucky enough
to have the connection.  I am not really questioning that.  I am
questioning the fundamentals of the project.  I would still love to
have a fiber connection, but at what cost?  In my opinion, this kind
of project should not really be run by a government organization.
There are better ways to handle something like this that are "less
socialized", and those are through the capitalistic ventures of
private entities.  If they are short so much funding then it really
makes me question the project fundamentals even more.  Proper planning
should have covered this detail to begin with.