Home Router Recommendations?

Gary Thornock gthornock at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 15 11:03:58 MDT 2008

--- Kimball Larsen <kimball at kimballlarsen.com> wrote:
> So, I'm interested to know what sorts of routers everyone has
> set up?
> Items that are important to me include:
>  Ability to forward as many ports as I want (tcp/udp
>   differentiation as well)
>  Web-based configuration over ssl
>  Cheap(ish) ( < $100)
>  Intrusion detection/prevention
>  DOS attack detection/prevention

I used to run my home firewall on a PC with FreeBSD, but, as you
found with Linux, the initial setup was non-trivial.

Currently I'm using pfSense on an old Pentium III box I had
sitting around.  I still get the benefits of pf, but with a web
based configuration tool (can be configured for HTTP or HTTPS).
The only feature I miss from my old setup is DansGuardian, and
I'm looking into packaging that for pfSense myself.