[OT] Promoting a Geek-Friendly Work Culture

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Mon Apr 14 11:29:50 MDT 2008

Lars Rasmussen wrote:
> Does anyone have suggestions for promoting a geek culture at their workplace?

Here are a few suggestions that I do, and I've seen real improvements in
my office over the past few years. Management has noticed and started to
realize that the best engineers have a serious geek streak in them.

Here's the list:

- Keep loaded water guns in your desk. Squirt passers by.

- Keep a half-built non-work-related project handy (I keep R/C airplanes
on my shelf with all the geeky radio gear, and I fly/crash them at lunch
time).

- Post xkcd comics on your door.

- Get your employer to buy lunch for you to host demo meetings on
emerging technologies. Invite all your co-workers. I've done several Qt
presentations, my office mate has done JavaScript presentations, and
it's been quite fun.

- Play strategy board games at lunch time (I don't personally do this,
but several of my co-workers do and it fosters an great spirit of
geekiness).

- Encourage casual conversations about lisp. It's amazing how lisp can
wake up the inner-geek, even if you don't use it regularly.

- Get a binary clock and/or watch.

- Hire Byron Clark. Oh wait, we already did that, and we're not giving
him up!

Happy geeking.

--Dave

P.S. We're still hiring geeks, and even wannabe geeks who are willing to
get on-the-job geek training. :)