[OT] Promoting a Geek-Friendly Work Culture

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Mon Apr 14 11:29:50 MDT 2008

Lars Rasmussen wrote:
> Does anyone have suggestions for promoting a geek culture at their workplace?

Here are a few suggestions that I do, and I've seen real improvements in
my office over the past few years. Management has noticed and started to
realize that the best engineers have a serious geek streak in them.

Here's the list:

- Keep loaded water guns in your desk. Squirt passers by.

- Keep a half-built non-work-related project handy (I keep R/C airplanes
on my shelf with all the geeky radio gear, and I fly/crash them at lunch

- Post xkcd comics on your door.

- Get your employer to buy lunch for you to host demo meetings on
emerging technologies. Invite all your co-workers. I've done several Qt
presentations, my office mate has done JavaScript presentations, and
it's been quite fun.

- Play strategy board games at lunch time (I don't personally do this,
but several of my co-workers do and it fosters an great spirit of

- Encourage casual conversations about lisp. It's amazing how lisp can
wake up the inner-geek, even if you don't use it regularly.

- Get a binary clock and/or watch.

- Hire Byron Clark. Oh wait, we already did that, and we're not giving
him up!

Happy geeking.

P.S. We're still hiring geeks, and even wannabe geeks who are willing to
get on-the-job geek training. :)