Please rate my scripts.

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Mon Apr 14 10:46:29 MDT 2008

Michael Torrie wrote:

> - In any language, including bash, I highly recommend using getopt to
> provide simple command line help and rudimentary switch processing if
> needed (which it's not in this case).  Right now, running the script
> without any arguments immediately starts doing some work, which is
> something that's a bit dangerous in my opinion (although we all do it!)

That's perfectly acceptable behavior for a filter. No generalizations,
please. ;-) But all non-trivial programs should be required by law to at
least have either a man page or -h output, preferably both. At least,
don't make -h an important switch that might have side effects. Info and
--help are poor subtitutes.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

     -- Johann Sebastian Bach