Please rate my scripts.

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Mon Apr 14 09:29:37 MDT 2008

I'm thinking about writing some training material examining the
development of a short but real world shell script. By the time the
script is completed, it becomes obvious that the shell is good for
simple problems but eventually one should consider a less quirky
language. I'm toying with the idea of including a translation of the
script to Perl, Python and Ruby.

The target audience is system administrators, possibly with no previous
programming experience. I want the scripts to use the same algorithm as
the shell script, be readable by a newbie, but also capture the flavor
of each language. Because I consider myself a jack of all languages,
master of none, I'd appreciate if you took a moment to check my
translation to your favorite language and let me know if I've done
anything offensive.