Google App Engine at the Utah Python User's Group on Thursday

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 16:32:52 MDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>  veiled jab at Java (and maybe PHP) here, folks.  Not that Google uses
>  Java much or would use it for GAPE, but that python is now going to be

I guess if you think that implementing gmail in Java is not using Java much.

Google has written and extensively uses the following Java libs:

GWT - http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/
Guice - http://code.google.com/p/google-guice/
Hadoop - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadoop
Google Collections - http://code.google.com/p/google-collections/
etc.
etc.

No doubt Google uses a boat load of python too -- probably more in
relation to Java.  But I wouldn't say that Google doesn't use Java
much.

Not to say that this announcement of using Python as the initial
language for GAPE isn't huge.  It is.  Hooray for Python!