multi-line edit in vi

John M. Anderson sontek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 11:02:59 MDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 10:53 -0600, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
> Yes, that is what I want. Add a "#" to the begging of six lines in a
> row for example. Or remove a "#" from several lines in a row. Or, add
> "<li><a href="">" to the beginning of several lines of text. You get
> the idea.

Ok, the mail I just sent out describes the steps to do these exact
things.

So if you have this:

1. static void Main(string[] args)
2. {
3.     printf("hi");
4. }

if you go on line one and hit ctrl+v and then hit j until you are down
to line 4, hit shift+I put in the pound (shift+3) and then hit ctrl
+[ (or esc) and it'll put # in front of all the lines you selected.