Google App Engine at the Utah Python User's Group on Thursday

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Apr 8 20:34:48 MDT 2008

Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm merely expressing how interesting it is that python is the choice
> for a system designed to scale up to enormous sizes.

Not that I don't think python is a fine language for this sort of
thing, but I don't think language plays a huge role in the scalability
of Google systems.  Things scale at Google because the parts are built
to play together on massive server farms with well-architected and
abstracted communication/coordination mechanisms.  You could plug
pretty much anything in at the node level and get great scalability
because they've got the hard problem solved already at a higher level.

But anyway, I like python, and I'm glad to see it getting good press
here.

                --Levi