more simple Ubuntu questions

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Mon Apr 7 14:31:13 MDT 2008

Andres Gonzalez wrote:
> As you can tell, I am new to Ubuntu. The different root login
> architecture in Ubuntu I can live with--actually I think I kind of like it.
>
> But where is /etc/inittab in Ubuntu?  Why is it not there?  Why can I
> not go from console mode to graphics mode using telinit?  In fact, why
> does telinit not seem to even work in Ubuntu?
>
> I guess I am just learning how different from each other these distros
> can actually be.

I think it's because they use upstart[1]. As for going from one "mode"
to another, the Debian way is that you can use runlevels for whatever
you want but they're all the same by default, so using telinit to change
runlevels won't go from one "mode" to another (unless you set up your
runlevels like that manually). I would assume Ubuntu follows suit.

1. http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

     -- Johann Sebastian Bach