[OT] Headphones Recommendation for a Noisy Cubicle?

Lars Rasmussen lars.rasmussen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 13:24:01 MDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:
>  I have a pair of the Skullcandy Proletariats.  They range from $60 to
>  $150 (really, that wide - check Google Products).  I've been pleased
>  with them.  There are a few small things that I don't like, but I can be
>  pretty picky.
>
>  I spotted some headphones at Kmart that looked kinda
>  familiar.  They sold for something like $35, as far as I remember.
>
>  When I got home, I googled the name and this is what I found:
>
>  ************************************************
>  iSymphony NC1 ($36-$39):
>  http://www.myisymphony.com/products_nc1.htm
>
>  SPECIFICATIONS
>  Frequency response:     20 Hz – 20 kHz
>  Driver units:           40 mm
>  Impedance:              32
>  Noise reduction level:  up to 18 dB at 300 Hz
>  Output power:           20mW
>  Length of cord:         1.5 m / 4.9 ft
>  Power requirement:      DC 3V, 2 x AAA batteries
>
>  ************************************************
>  Skullcandy Proletariat ($60-$150)
>  http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/proletariat-p-11.html
>
>  SPECIFICATIONS
>  Driver units =          40mm
>  Frequency Response =    20Hz - 20kHz
>  Impedance =             32 ohms
>  Sensitivity =           121db/mW (power is ON) 115dB/ mW (power is OFF)
>  Noise Reduction Level = up to 18dB at 300Hz
>  Power Supply =          2 x AAA batteries
>
>  After looking at the pictures (better yet, the product PDF) and product
>  specs, you get the feeling that the iSymphony is more then a prefect
>  rip-off product.  It's more likely a repackage of the same product.
>
>  So, save yourself the money and shipping cost, get to your local Kmart
>  and catch the blue-light-special.

I switched and had been looking at the Skullcandy Ti's but your point
is well taken.  The Skullcandy headphones, for all their
warranty-goodness, just don't stack up.  They're average headphones in
terms of Frequency Response & attenuation.  Bling factor + warranty
isn't enough to push me over the edge.  My ears are, well, my ears.

I need passive attenuation!  A pair of circumaural(i.e. they rest on
the side of your head, going _around_ the ears) sealed cans with a
great warranty.  Here's what Justin Hileman suggested:

Koss Pro4's
http://tinyurl.com/y63bpz

Frequency Response: 10-25,000 Hz
Impedance: 250 ohms
Weight: 21.0 ounces
Distortion: Less than 0.1 percen

The Koss warranty is better stated than that of Skullcandy:
http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/warrrepair5?openform

I haven't yet made my purchase, but I find it hard to believe that
I'll find a better brand than Koss that delivers high quality
circumaural headphones, great passive noise reduction, _and_ a
no-questions-asked warranty.

Prove me wrong!
--
Lars