Ubuntu question

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 12:47:45 MDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 12:33 -0600, Jon Jensen wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
>
> > Seriously though I'm surprised at the negative tone regarding this
> > feature.  I love it.  One less password to remember.
>
> For me the suboptimal thing about sudo is lack of ssh key authentication
> support. I connect to dozens of servers without using (or even knowing)
> the passwords. And sudo isn't useful if you don't use passwords.
>
> If ssh key authentication support were integrated with sudo, it would be
> very nice.

Why not add your key to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys?

Or maybe I misunderstand what you'd like to have happen?  Oh, wait, I
think I do understand.  You can't use sudo because it prompts you for
the user's password (which you don't know).  Yeah, that sucks.  Maybe
there's a PAM module that needs to be written?

But then, if it's not your machine (if it is then you'd know the
password) what are you doing trying to poke around as root anyway! :-)