Ubuntu question

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Mon Apr 7 12:25:34 MDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 10:18:50AM -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:

> sudo -s isn't strong enough magic.  You don't get root's environment;
> you just inherit the one you came from.  So /sbin, /usr/sbin, etc,
> aren't in the path.  And neither are any fancy things you put in root's
> shell environment.

I have /sbin and /usr/sbin in my path in my normal environment.  There's
tons of useful stuff in these "root-specific" directories, so I get
irritated if they aren't in my path.  I prefer doing "sudo -s" because
then I have all of my fancy settings and aliases.  My custom prompt even
changes to show that I'm root.

What fancy settings would you want root to have that you wouldn't want
to have in your own environment?

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/