Screen resolution question

Andres Gonzalez gonzo at agoralabs.com
Mon Apr 7 11:50:20 MDT 2008

I recently install the new Ubuntu on a new box I just built. I had an
old monitor and used it not really knowing its capabilities. After
Ubuntu was installed, my default screen resolution is 640x480. If I go
into <System><Preferences><Screen Resolution> the only option I am given
is 640x480. So, I figured that the old monitor I was using only
supported up to 640x480 resolution and that Ubuntu was using the highest
available resolution. Then I booted up off the CD and the screen
resolution was 1280x1024. Now I know that the monitor indeed supports
this higher resolution.

How do I change my default settings to the higher screen resolution? I
am NOT given the option in the <System><Preferences><Screen Resolution>
dialog so I must change it elsewhere.

Thanks,

-Andres