Ubuntu question

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 09:34:52 MDT 2008

Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> Type 'sudo bash' at a prompt and you'll be asked for your password.
> Then you'll be logged in as root, running a bash shell.

I prefer:

sudo su -

This gives you the full root shell environment, including all the paths
that are special for root.

> You can also use 'sudo <any command you want>' and again will be asked
> for your password.  Then the command you specify will be run as root.
>
> It's sort of a weird setup, but you get used to it.  And I can
> understand the reason the Ubuntu team does it that way.

Anyone coming from OS X will find this way of working very familiar.
Disabling root probably does have some security advantages.  I
personally wish Fedora would allow me to use graphical sudo for more
things, rather than the graphical su that it currently uses.  It's
easier to give someone administrator access via sudo (and you can lock
it down in sudoers) rather than give out the root password to 5 people
who need it.