Ubuntu question

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.com
Mon Apr 7 09:22:45 MDT 2008

Andres asked:

> The install process did ask me to setup a regular user and password.
> So, I can login as that user as normal. However, when I try to su to
> root, I of course, do not have a password to give it.

Type 'sudo bash' at a prompt and you'll be asked for your password.
Then you'll be logged in as root, running a bash shell.

You can also use 'sudo <any command you want>' and again will be asked
for your password.  Then the command you specify will be run as root.

It's sort of a weird setup, but you get used to it.  And I can
understand the reason the Ubuntu team does it that way.

HTH,
Jeff