Ubuntu question

Andres Gonzalez gonzo at agoralabs.com
Mon Apr 7 10:19:19 MDT 2008

Hi folks,

I recently installed the new Ubuntu on a new box I just built. The
install went fine, but I was puzzled by the fact that the install
process did NOT ask me to set the root password. Is that normal? Why did
the install process not ask to setup a root password?

The install process did ask me to setup a regular user and password. So,
I can login as that user as normal. However, when I try to su to root, I
of course, do not have a password to give it.

Am I hosed??  Do I have to reinstall? Is there an easy way to re-set a
root password?  Which then brings up a security question. If I can
re-set the root password, does not that make the system insecure?

If I boot up off a CD, mount the drive, then edit the "root" line in the
/etc/passwd file, will that do it?

Thanks,

-Andres