Ubuntu command line installation + minimal X.

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 17:11:52 MDT 2008

> Actually, if I install Emacs before I install X, it will run just fine
> as a console application. If you have X and the full up Emacs you can
> run it in an xterm with the "-nw" switch.
>
> I'd like to avoid recompiling, as my motive for all this is to be
> able to re-install quickly from time to time, e.g. for testing
> purposes.

Charles,

My point wasn't that Emacs wouldn't run without X, but rather that the
distribution you run (Ubuntu is my guess) requires X libs to be
installed as a dependency.  Now I could be wrong, but wasn't that the point
of your request?  To run Emacs over ssh?

Or did you want to run emacs in GUI mode over an ssh connection without
requiring the X libs?  If that is the case, have you tried just forwarding X
over ssh using the -X switch in ssh and then running the GUI on your
system.  It should work, but again, I'm not sure what requirements would be
made to have the GUI components installed.

Cheers,

Clint