Ubuntu command line installation + minimal X.

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sun Apr 6 13:57:13 MDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 11:47:29AM -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Charles Curley <
> charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
>
> > I can do a "command line system" install from the xubuntu alternate
> > CD. So far, so good. I'd like to install emacs with just enough of X
> > and GTK so I can run it over SSH in its own window. I do not require X
> > to work on the target machine (it runs headless).
> >
> > If I install twm and xorg, that goes fine. If I then install emacs22,
> > the process removes a bunch of stuff, and I have to re-install twm and
> > xorg to get emacs to run over SSH. So I'm missing some magical
> > incantation or special package to install; what am I missing?

Actually, if I install Emacs before I install X, it will run just fine
as a console application. If you have X and the full up Emacs you can
run it in an xterm with the "-nw" switch.

I'd like to avoid recompiling, as my motive for all this is to be
able to re-install quickly from time to time, e.g. for testing
purposes.