Improving Spam Filtering?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sun Apr 6 12:09:19 MDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 08:44:42AM -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:
> Charles Curley wrote:
> > I've been running spam assassin for a long time, now 3.2.3 on Ubuntu
> > 7.10. It seems to be letting a lot of crud through. This morning I had
> > more than 30 spam emails, and that's not unusual. I have a cron job
> > that updates it daily, so that shouldn't be an issue.

> Greylisting will drop your spam by 90%, even without spamassassin.  You
> might look into that as well.

Thanks. I installed milter-greylist ("aptitude install
milter-greylist"). As far as I can tell, the installation does nothing
to configure it. Nothing in /etc/mail was modified. Other than editing
/etc/milter-greylist/greylist.conf to customize it, is there anything
I need to do? I found the README, and the section on "Configuring
Sendmail with milter-greylist" is gooblydegook. For one thing, it
refers to sendmail.cf, which is generated from sendmail.mc

> I've also heard that turning off your mail server for 12 hours every
> once in a while will also semi-permanently reduce your spam levels,
> since most bots won't retry when the server is down, whereas all
> legitimate mail will.

Hmm, maybe I should just take it on the road. My mail server here is
my laptop. :-)