Ubuntu command line installation + minimal X.

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 11:47:29 MDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Charles Curley <
charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:

> I can do a "command line system" install from the xubuntu alternate
> CD. So far, so good. I'd like to install emacs with just enough of X
> and GTK so I can run it over SSH in its own window. I do not require X
> to work on the target machine (it runs headless).
>
> If I install twm and xorg, that goes fine. If I then install emacs22,
> the process removes a bunch of stuff, and I have to re-install twm and
> xorg to get emacs to run over SSH. So I'm missing some magical
> incantation or special package to install; what am I missing?
>
> Charles,

Its likely that most distributions require some sort of GUI components to
run emacs on the box as its default to run it that way.  Because of this, my
recommendation would be to build it from source, or, in some cases, get the
source package and rebuild it without requiring the GUI components.

Cheers,

Clint