Ubuntu command line installation + minimal X.

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sun Apr 6 11:35:12 MDT 2008

I can do a "command line system" install from the xubuntu alternate
CD. So far, so good. I'd like to install emacs with just enough of X
and GTK so I can run it over SSH in its own window. I do not require X
to work on the target machine (it runs headless).

If I install twm and xorg, that goes fine. If I then install emacs22,
the process removes a bunch of stuff, and I have to re-install twm and
xorg to get emacs to run over SSH. So I'm missing some magical
incantation or special package to install; what am I missing?

Thanks