Improving Spam Filtering?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 08:44:42 MDT 2008

Charles Curley wrote:
> I've been running spam assassin for a long time, now 3.2.3 on Ubuntu
> 7.10. It seems to be letting a lot of crud through. This morning I had
> more than 30 spam emails, and that's not unusual. I have a cron job
> that updates it daily, so that shouldn't be an issue.
>
> I've been using a mutt macro to run sa-learn, but some of the same
> spam emails keep getting through. Does SA not learn or something?
>
> I've been thinking about moving to another mail reader, like
> Thunderbird, but that seems a bit drastic. What else can I do to
> minimize spam?

Greylisting will drop your spam by 90%, even without spamassassin.  You
might look into that as well.

I've also heard that turning off your mail server for 12 hours every
once in a while will also semi-permanently reduce your spam levels,
since most bots won't retry when the server is down, whereas all
legitimate mail will.

Michael