[OT] Headphones Recommendation for a Noisy Cubicle?

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Fri Apr 4 17:06:45 MDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 12:15 -0600, Lars Rasmussen wrote:
> I've narrowed this down to 2 choices, but am not sure which to choose.
>  Any headphone recommendations would be appreciated!
>
> Sony MDR7506
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AJIF4E
>
> Skullcandy SCS-SC Skullcrushers
> http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-SCS-SCBP3-5-Skullcrushers-Subwoofer-Headphones/dp/B000OYFOVM

The Skullcandy Skullcrushers come in around $52 to $60 dollars.  They
look like a decent pair of cans and we've heard good things about the
company.

I have a pair of the Skullcandy Proletariats.  They range from $60 to
$150 (really, that wide - check Google Products).  I've been pleased
with them.  There are a few small things that I don't like, but I can be
pretty picky.

Anyway, the other day I was with my son doing the "Do you have any Wiis
in stock?" tour and I spotted some headphones at Kmart that looked kinda
familiar.  They sold for something like $35, as far as I remember.

When I got home, I googled the name and this is what I found:

iSymphony NC1 ($36-$39):
http://www.myisymphony.com/products_nc1.htm

SPECIFICATIONS
Frequency response:     20 Hz – 20 kHz
Driver units:           40 mm
Impedance:              32
Noise reduction level:  up to 18 dB at 300 Hz
Output power:           20mW
Length of cord:         1.5 m / 4.9 ft
Power requirement:      DC 3V, 2 x AAA batteries

Skullcandy Proletariat ($60-$150)
http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/proletariat-p-11.html

SPECIFICATIONS
Driver units =          40mm
Frequency Response =    20Hz - 20kHz
Impedance =             32 ohms
Sensitivity =           121db/mW (power is ON) 115dB/ mW (power is OFF)
Noise Reduction Level = up to 18dB at 300Hz
Power Supply =          2 x AAA batteries

After looking at the pictures (better yet, the product PDF) and product
specs, you get the feeling that the iSymphony is more then a prefect
rip-off product.  It's more likely a repackage of the same product.

So, save yourself the money and shipping cost, get to your local Kmart
and catch the blue-light-special.

Gabe