MythTV for iPhone

Michael Torrie torriem at
Thu Apr 3 09:23:47 MDT 2008

Dave Smith wrote:
> Chris Carey wrote:
>> MythTV for iPhone allows you to watch your TV shows recorded on your
>> MythTV DVR on your iPhone.
> Awesome!!! I presume it will also work with  iPod Touch?

Should.  It's a just a web app, although designed to work in Safari on
the iPhone/iPod.  All the magic of actually watching the shows is simply
a transcoding to mpeg-4 on the backend, and then embedding the video in
a html page that the built-in quicktime viewer (hardware accelerated of
course) can display.  Very simple concept, but very cool, and well done.
 However you can't watch live TV.  For me, personally, I don't care much
about live TV, so it promises to work very well.

I presume the code that will be released is the custom web backend stuff
(kind of like mythweb, but for the iPhone).  Thanks Chris!