Enabling ssh-agent?

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 15:17:48 MDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 15:00 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> ssh-agent is running on the machine. When I am logged in locally on
> that machine, it works. It's only when I SSH in from another machine
> that it doesn't work. The workaround is to run another instance of
> ssh-agent. I just have to remember to do it.

I think you may be confused.  Having an ssh-agent running is not enough.
You must also have environment variables set so that ssh can find the
agent.

But if I understand your situation what you really want is agent
forwarding (ssh -A).  You're going from host A to host B and then from
host B to host C?  Or you may want something like keychain
<http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/keychain/>.