WiFi routers again :(

Mike Lovell toelovell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 15:04:38 MDT 2007

Steve wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> Been awhile since we had this discussion, but my router is going out
> and I need to replace it.
> Just wondering if there are any make/model suggestions on currently
> shipping models.
> I would personally like a WRT54G but I understand they aren't running
> linux anymore.  So back to the drawing board.  Any ideas?
>
> BTW if anyone has a good WiFi b/g router for sale cheap, that would be
> nice as well.

There are a few routes that you can go here and they depend on how much
money you want to spend and how much time you want to put into it.

The Linksys WRT54GL (note the L) is still based on linux and a great
little router. These usually carry about a 10 dollar premium over the
WRT54G. You can easily flash it with OpenWRT and configure it to do all
kinds of cool things. I just bought one for my sister about a month ago.
In about an hour, I had OpenWRT on it and added some scripts to email me
if the router reboots or changes IP address. (I did that so that I can
always get to her network in case anything breaks) NewEgg currently
lists them at ~$63
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190).
Unfortunately, you will have a hard time locating one at a store locally.

OpenWRT does support a wide variety of routers. You can check
http://toh.openwrt.org/ to see what works and what doesn't.

If you are wanting to invest some more time and money into building a
really flexible router, you could get a Single Board Computer from some
like Soekris (www.soekris.com) and completely roll your own solution.
The boards usually cost more but will have faster processor, more
memory, and how ever much storage you want. You could easily run
something like MonoWall or pfSense of them to give you a really full
featured router. But like I said, more money and time.

Finally, if you just have an extra PC around, throw a wireless nic in it
along with however many wired nics you might need and run pfSense. It is
a great system build on FreeBSD and pf that can do tons of stuff. We
were using at work for a little bit to do routing and a VPN tunnel
between some datacenters.

So anyways, there are a few ideas on it.

Mike Lovell