The Linux IDE Debate

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Sep 28 09:35:45 MDT 2007

Charles Curley wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 06:56:33PM -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
>> Steve wrote:
>

>> The original Linux IDE has got to be KDevelop.
>
> Emacs.

Frankly Emacs was not what most people were looking for (vi neither, to
head off that flame war) who wanted an IDE.  Nor should anyone expect
that Steve's audience uses it as an IDE.

Emacs integrates well with some forms of software development.
Particularly Scheme and Lisp.  But as far as a C and C++ IDE goes,
KDevelop 1.0 blew Emacs out of the water (at the time), at least for
windows refugees looking for an IDE.  We're talking things like
automatic Makefile management, subprojects, compiling profiles, code
completion, debugging, etc.  While Emacs can do all those things, it's
as integrated or as smooth as in a good IDE.  Like or not, Borland's
Turbo products back in the day, and then Visual Studio, revolutionized
how we approach software development.  Emacs compared to this type of
IDE is really, for most of the unwashed masses, just a fancy text editor
that has a macro language and can run "make" on demand, and do
rudimentary code completion and prototype suggestion.

So when most people think of IDEs (such as were pioneered by the likes
of Borland and Microsoft) on Linux the ones that come to mind are
CodeWarrior, CodeForge, KDevelop, Eclipse, Anjuta, etc.