The Linux IDE Debate

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Sep 28 09:08:53 MDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 06:56:33PM -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> Steve wrote:

> The original Linux IDE has got to be KDevelop.

Emacs.

    Emacs: the Free Software IDE
    By Charles Curley on Sat, 2002-06-01 01:00. Software

    "Many people waited a long time to have nice IDEs for Linux. While
    everyone else waited I just used Emacs."--Thanyne Harbaugh,
    President, Provo Linux Users Group

    Emacs is well known as an editor, but calling Emacs an editor is
    like calling the Queen Mary a boat. The source RPM for Emacs 21.1
    is some 20MB--huge for an editor. You don't have to use all of it,
    but sometimes it's nice to know it's there.

    Emacs is heavily customizable, which makes it very flexible. For
    example, I am writing this article with Emacs and will spell check
    it with Emacs. ``Well'', I hear you saying, ``if it's good for
    writing articles, it can't be very good for developing software.''
    That's where Emacs' flexibility and customization come in; you can
    use it for either or for something completely different. Want to
    see a shrink, play Tetris or manipulate dates in the Mayan
    calendar? Emacs.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5765