Advantages of Fiber

Brian Beardall brian at rapsure.net
Fri Sep 28 08:29:42 MDT 2007

Spanish Fork was going to go fiber to the house, but because of cost
only went fiber to the node and coax the remainder of the way. However
with the way Spanish Fork did the network they could swap out the coax
with fiber by just pulling out the coax, and replacing with fiber in the
conduits. The senator just hasn't been educated on the way the network
has been setup. It was really nice because after the people in Spanish
Fork decided to take the broadband issue up themselves instead of
waiting on the private sector. The private sector afterwards suddenly
decided they should upgrade all of the systems. This included Comcast,
and Qwest at the same time. Some coincidence since the former two
monopolies in their respective market suddenly had a competitor THE
CITY. The people of Spanish Fork are the ones who wanted broadband and
when private companies don't listen, projects like what occurred in
Spanish Fork happen. The project wasn't done to please investors in
which Qwest, and Comcast seem to be too busy doing, and so won't upgrade
infrastructure for the broadband that people are asking for.