The Linux IDE Debate

Joshua Simpson std3rr at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 08:26:17 MDT 2007

On 9/27/07, Jeff Schroeder <jeff at zingstudios.com> wrote:

> As an aside, I've attempted to use several different ones (Eclipse and
> Quanta/KDevelop recently) and always fall back to my beloved vi.  I can
> manipulate text in vi so quickly that I'd never match that speed in an
> IDE.  With syntax highlighting, function completion, code folding,
> split views, and multiple file capabilities in my vi clone of choice
> (Elvis), I don't really even need an IDE.

As added advice, I'd suggest checking out VimGdb (
http://clewn.sourceforge.net/), or clewn itself.  One of my major gripes
with using vim for C/C++ programming was the lack of decent debugger
support, in my opinion an absolute necessity when you're doing manual memory
management, working at a generally lower level in regards to the hardware.
Last time I checked out Quanta was about a year ago, it had certainly
improved, but it still wasn't "Visual Studio for Linux".  Same with
KDevelop, although it seems slightly more polished than Quanta.  And I
absolutely detest Eclipse.

There are other vim / gdb integration scripts / plugins out there, but I've
been impressed with VimGdb so far, and I've been using it for about a month
at the new job.

Cheers!

Josh (dw)