The Linux IDE Debate

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Fri Sep 28 00:27:19 MDT 2007

Steve wrote:
> I realize that there will be many people who will read this, and not
> be comfortable with this approach.  They will want to use an IDE for
> most, if not all of the work.  Also my understanding is that "in the
> real world" IDE's are used more often than not, even for the simplest
> applications.

I doubt that is a safe generalization.  I'm on a team whose official
stance is that we use Java, Linux, and Eclipse... but there's C/C++ and
Python all over the place, along with Windows, NetBeans, and dozens of
simple editors of all imaginable flavors.  Why, I can't even agree with
myself: I use Kate, Eclipse, Nano, Vim, or even Notepad interchangeably,
depending on my environment and mood.  So does everyone else I know.

Stick to what you're comfortable with, especially when writing.  If you
fight your own biases then you're likely to write a dry book.  Even
technical books need some life and personal opinions.

Shane