The Linux IDE Debate

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.com
Thu Sep 27 21:06:10 MDT 2007

> If so what IDE would you recommend?

I wouldn't.

1) You said yourself that you use straight text editors, so you're not
very familiar with Linux IDE's and would probably struggle to write
about using one (or more) with your project.

2) As you pointed out, there are several popular IDE flavors (and
certainly plenty of obscure ones) and people all have their personal
favorites.  So even if you pick, say, Eclipse, the majority of your
audience probably won't be Eclipse users and will therefore
just "translate" your instructions into their own IDE anyway.

As an aside, I've attempted to use several different ones (Eclipse and
Quanta/KDevelop recently) and always fall back to my beloved vi.  I can
manipulate text in vi so quickly that I'd never match that speed in an
IDE.  With syntax highlighting, function completion, code folding,
split views, and multiple file capabilities in my vi clone of choice
(Elvis), I don't really even need an IDE.

$0.02,
Jeff