Dvorak Keyboard Layout

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Thu Sep 27 11:19:40 MDT 2007

On Thursday 27 September 2007, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> > For the past 8 years, I have used a Kinesis keyboard. It does the
> > keymapping for me, so I get the Dvorak layout even when in the bios.
>
> Which Kinesis keyboard did you get?  I took at look at the Maxim
> keyboard [1] which has the ergonomic layout, but I do not see anything
> about keymapping for Dvorak.  Also the keyboard appears to run $139 now
> instead of $200 (if this is the keyboard you use).

I have two: "The Classic" and "The Essential". (Which I think are the same).
There were three versions of them--the base with no memory (thus not
programmable), and the upper two versions just had a different amount of
memory. I got the base model and bought the $2.00 serial eprom and stuck it
in myself--all I needed for the programmable remapping to work. I got my
first one at a flea market for $5 (what a steal! I got lucky.) and bought the
second off of ebay for $100, several years ago.

They both look like the first white keyboard on a google image search
for "kinesis". The "Maxim" looks quite a bit different--that's the one that's
split down the middle. The one I have, IMO, is nicer, as it optimally reduces
distance travelled since the keys are as close together as you can get.  I
can tell, because when I go back to a regular keyboard I usually underreach a
bit at first.

Nick