Dvorak Keyboard Layout

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Sep 27 11:15:04 MDT 2007

Kenneth Burgener wrote:

> 2. Lack of keyboards.  The few Dvorak keyboards I have found are all
> $100+, and I have yet to find an "ergonomic" shaped Dvorak keyboard.
> The most common Dvorak keyboard I have found is the TypeMatrix  2030,
> but it is not ergonomic.  For now I have settled upon using Windows
> "Local - Dvorak" feature, and Linux alias/xmodmap/loadkeys solutions I
> have found.

I don't think this is an issue.  you shouldn't be looking at the
keyboard anyway, so it doesn't matter what the kepcaps say.  Most dvorak
typists just switch the layout in software.  Back when I was trying to
learn it, that's what I did.  Only took a few minutes to get past the
hunt-and-peck mode.  For the first day, I had a card leaning against my
monitor with the layout printed on it.  That's all you ought to need.