Best Computer Science School in Utah

Steve smorrey at
Wed Sep 26 22:43:43 MDT 2007

No but I do enjoy playing devils advocate sometimes.

So to continue the thought experiment...

All numbers are arbitrary symbols we apply to represent quantity.
Therefore if we discard convention and say instead that 2 is really a
symbol meaning two and one half units of a given quantity then 2 + 2
does in fact equal 5.

I mean if we can say that A = 10, B = 11 and etc, one should certainly
be able to say that 2 = two and one half units.

Oh hello Mr. Wells!  :)

Sorry couldn't resist