Best Computer Science School in Utah

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Wed Sep 26 22:14:28 MDT 2007

Steve <smorrey at gmail.com> writes:

> Same thing with computing.
> How much of computing science is going to become irrelevant should
> quantum computing take off?  How many new laws are waiting to be
> discovered?

I think you just completely missed the part where we actually
understand what's computable.  Yes, this even applies to quantum
computers.  We have a pretty good idea of what they can do, too, and
it's not magic.

There are probably new laws to be discovered in computing, and we
still haven't proved whether P = NP or not, but when we prove
something in computer science, it's proven.  I don't know how I can be
any more clear than that.

Next you'll be telling me that it's not completely impossible for 2 +
2 to equal 5.

                --Levi