Best Computer Science School in Utah

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Wed Sep 26 13:44:41 MDT 2007

Paul Seamons <paul at seamons.com> writes:
> I'd say that goes double for the guys who built my house.
>
> But it isn't true for all builders.  There are those with enough grasp of
> things to be able to make design decisions on their own.  But even then they
> can't make major structural changes without having the plans resubmitted to
> an engineering firm (at least in some cities).

This is exactly what I was trying to get across.  The guys who have
some engineering knowledge are able to do a much better job when
requirements change.  We don't currently have a building code for
critical software, so there isn't really any guide that says, 'if you
do this sort of thing, you have to go talk to a CS guy about it to
make sure you're on the right track'.  The result is that if you don't
have enough CS knowledge on your team, you don't even necessarily know
when you need to get outside help or who you'd go to.

> Those are the areas of knowledge which help him identify the
> non-obvious tools at hand.

What I mean is, by analogy, wouldn't programming MacGuyvers have to be
trained in Computer Science as well?  We all know how well the average
joe with no training does in his duct-tape repair jobs.  I think it's
wishful thinking to assume that we, simply because we're smart, can
recognize non-obvious tools without any training in an area.  I think
your personal success at MacGuyvering things is probably due to
Computer Science stuff you picked up at school and through self-study.

                --Levi