Development Methods in the real world.

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Wed Sep 26 12:01:33 MDT 2007

Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> writes:

> The Extreme Programming folks say that the solution to this is to get
> the customer in the room and involve them in the design process every
> step of the way, as a member of the development team. This is, I
> think, a bit too "extreme." It's as if my architect made me show up
> while they were designing the kitchen and asked me to provide input on
> every little detail. It's boring for me, if I wanted to be an
> architect I would have become an architect.

It's my understanding that the XP guys have backed off on this
practice, and now it's sufficient to have a guy on your team act as a
proxy for the customer and go get their input when it's required.

In any case, I'd be pretty ticked if I asked the architect to 'do
something cool' in my kitchen and he started building stuff before he
ran the designs past me.  In fact, to make the best of our time, I'd
prefer he pass the high-level concept by me first to make sure our
ideas of 'cool' coincide, and then check back with me when the design
details are filled in, and then when the actual materials have been
picked out, etc.

So, I may not know what I want well enough to describe it up front,
but if you go off on your own and do what you think I want without my
input, I'm pretty likely to be disappointed to some degree!  As in all
things, it's a balancing act between domain expertise and customer
input.

                --Levi