Best Computer Science School in Utah

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Wed Sep 26 11:47:19 MDT 2007

Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> writes:

> Right. Now go find a short story by Issac Asimov titled "Not Final".
>
> This reminds me of something Sir Arthur C. Clarke observed: that when
> a distingushed scientist telly you something is possible he is almost
> certainly correct. But when he tells you something is impossible, he
> is almost certainly wrong.

Right, why didn't someone tell me that it's not Science FICTION
anymore?  Geez.

Okay, so our theories about the physical world aren't perfectly
refined yet.  But wake me up when the laws of thermodynamics become
invalid, then I might be willing to entertain this 'Scientists are
always wrong when they say something is impossible' garbage.

Our understanding of how computers work, on the other hand, is pretty
solid.  We designed them from scratch based on simple axioms.  If your
axioms are true in the real world, then your proofs reflect real-world
truth as well.  When we prove something uncomputable, we really know
that you can't compute it on our computers.

                --Levi