Best Computer Science School in Utah

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Sep 25 22:04:34 MDT 2007

Engineering is a noble profession and I have nothing but respect for
engineers, who work a lot harder for that degree than us CS folks, at
most universities. However, let it be no mistake that the worst
competent programmers I've ever seen are all (very good) engineers.
Engineering is not Computer Science, and the Engineering Discipline by
itself ill-prepares one to be a competent computer scientist. On the
other hand, the best computer scientists dabble in Engineering, take
Engineering courses, have the Engineer's stamina for math, etc. This is
mostly true for those subfields of CS dealing with Engineering problems,
like digital signal processing, robotics, etc.

Of course, some of the almost-worst programmers (competent or no) that I
have seen have a CS degree, so take it with a grain of salt. (Notice I
didn't say they were computer scientists)

Remember that computers are permeating everything. Computer programming
isn't the hard part. Software engineering isn't even the hard part.
There are and will always be experts in a field writing excellent
programs for their field that don't have a formal CS background.
Computer Science, on the other hand, is a field of its own and for good
reason. Many people have no idea that there is a field of Computer
Science; they think it means "learning to program and/or be a great
programmer/software engineer". It is a bit mystical, and it's not easy
to explain to the layperson, but it's a necessary foundation for
computing nonetheless.