Development Methods in the real world.

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Tue Sep 25 21:56:15 MDT 2007

Steve wrote:
> What is the reason for all of these other methodologies?

I think all of them exist so management can have a more tangible
guideline for development, but I don't think they are necessary. I have
worked on dozens of projects from conception to completion and the only
time I employed an XP methodology (Scrum in my case) was because
management insisted on it (we had some lazy engineers on the team who
needed micro-management, at least according to managers). In all the
other cases, just having smart, motivated people work on the project has
been sufficient, and that includes project leadership. But since it's
apparently very hard for management to find smart people and to motivate
them (and to be smart and motivated themselves), they fall back on some
laundry-list methodology to make their jobs easier. My current company
excels in this area. Management doesn't even seem to know about XP
methodologies, because what they do just works. We have a good working
relationship with our customers, and we have gotten pretty good at
managing projects.

I like Joel Spolsky's take on the topic. He contends that you have to be
smart, and that no methodology can replace that. Here's the article:

--Dave