Best Computer Science School in Utah

Alec Shaw shaw.alec at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 18:57:47 MDT 2007

Barry Roberts wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 14:52 -0600, Levi Pearson wrote:
>

>> I had that version as well.  I showed up for the first class and the
>> professor said something to the effect of, "If you're familiar with
>> computers, you can skip today's lecture."  I left, and never went to
>> another class period.
>>

> In 1983, I told them I knew Basic, Forth, and 6502 assembly and somebody
> signed a paper saying I didn't have to take CS 142 or CS 143.  And there
> was no MS Windows on campus ;-).  Lots of DOS, though.
>
> Barry Roberts

Since we are going back in time.  I did EE at BYU, starting in 1976, and
my programing experience
was with an HP 25 (HP's first programmable calculator -
http://www.hpmuseum.org/hp25.htm).
Those were the day of HP and TI wars - equally a volatile as vi/emacs.
I considered my self very fortunate later to be able to buy an HP 41C
with a card reader -
http://www.hpmuseum.org/hp41.htm.
My first programming class was DEC 10 assembly taught by Alan Ashton and
I was total lost - thanks
to some good partners and very late night managed to pass it OK.
Then moved to Fortran (on punch cards),  Apple II assembly (with a patch
cord and voice tape recorder backup),
pascal (the language that was going to change the world of programming),
and finally learned C by
using it to write a Viterbi decoder (on Unix to boot).

Alec Shaw