Best Computer Science School in Utah

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Tue Sep 25 17:17:31 MDT 2007

On Tuesday 25 September 2007, Barry Roberts wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 14:52 -0600, Levi Pearson wrote:
> > I had that version as well.  I showed up for the first class and the
> > professor said something to the effect of, "If you're familiar with
> > computers, you can skip today's lecture."  I left, and never went to
> > another class period.
>
> In 1983, I told them I knew Basic, Forth, and 6502 assembly and somebody
> signed a paper saying I didn't have to take CS 142 or CS 143.  And there
> was no MS Windows on campus ;-).  Lots of DOS, though.

I took 142 (it was OOP with turbo-pascal, too hard for newbies, too easy for
the experienced). As for 143, for all practical purposes I tested out of it.
(IOW, I showed up only for the tests since I had already taught myself m68k
assembly in high school.)

In 1993, there was still a lot of DOS on campus, and only a little bit of MS
Windows 3.1 floating around. We still registered on the WYSE terminals, or if
you had a modem you could do it from the dorms with a standard terminal. (or
if you knew the phone number, you could dial into the CAEDM labs modem pool)

I had a friend that wrote an expect script to talk to the registration system
which he scheduled on cron to get the classes he wanted at the times he
wanted. Now you'd have to write a screen-scraper since it's all web-based.
Still doable, but not as nifty.