Best Computer Science School in Utah

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Sep 25 14:52:58 MDT 2007

Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> writes:

> CS 142 for me as object-oriented programming, in Pascal.  Except they
> didn't really teach Pascal per se.  They just expected us to pick it up.
>  We did learn about object-oriented concepts, though.

I had that version as well.  I showed up for the first class and the
professor said something to the effect of, "If you're familiar with
computers, you can skip today's lecture."  I left, and never went to
another class period.  The tests were open-book, so I did the
assignments and hauled the book to the exams and got an easy A.

It did help that I already knew basic Pascal and the basics of OOP.  I
later had a roommate that took it as a non-major and had serious
struggles with the class because he had no idea how to approach
thinking about programming.  142 wasn't important at all for me, but I
imagine there's a group of people who might be able to ramp up with it
that would just get completely turned off if it were challenging at
all to people who already knew how to think about programming.

                --Levi