Best Computer Science School in Utah

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Sep 25 14:37:59 MDT 2007

Hans Fugal wrote:
> Tell that to my CS 142 instructor. I knew a hint of C++ and good ol'
> GW-BASIC, so I breezed through the class, but it was very obviously
> geared at never-before-programmers and honestly I wasn't too far ahead
> of that pack either. If by "know how to program" you mean "has had some
> minimal exposure to thinking like a computer" then I may agree, but by
> no means do you have to have any real, useful experience in programming.
> At least, not in 1997 and 1999.

CS 142 for me as object-oriented programming, in Pascal.  Except they
didn't really teach Pascal per se.  They just expected us to pick it up.
 We did learn about object-oriented concepts, though.

The CS 142 as it exists now is pretty useless.  It shouldn't be
considered a CS class so much as a general class, in my opinion.  CS
majors should not be required to take it, either, provided they have a
certain level of programming expertise.