Best Computer Science School in Utah

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Tue Sep 25 09:04:46 MDT 2007

Brandon Beattie wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 11:25:17PM -0400, John Anderson wrote:
>
>> Whats the best (in your humble opinion) computer science school in Utah?
>>

> I'm shocked the UofU hasn't been mentioned yet... BYU from my experience
> as good as you want it to be.  There are a couple great teachers, a half
> dozen poor teachers and the rest are average (or was-so 5 years ago).

<disclaimers>
<dis>I nave never attended any university besides BYU</dis>
<dis>I got my BS in 1990</dis>
</disclaimers>

Having said that, my older sister and I both had friends visit us and
attend classes with us at BYU.  Without exception, the were shocked that
all of our undergrad CS classes were taught by professors.  At "normal"
schools (UofM, UGA, Ga Tech), where publish or perish is more pressing,
grad students teach the undergrad classes, and they didn't see a
professor in their major classes until they were seniors.  And then they
were rare.

Admittedly, some of the profs at BYU are better researchers than
teachers (I hope), but I thought the quality of teaching at BYU was well
above average for a major uni.  I had one CS class taught by a grad student.

Of course, BYU hadn't granted a PhD in CS at the time, so the professors
may spend less time teaching now.

FWIW,
Barry Roberts