Best Computer Science School in Utah

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Mon Sep 24 23:19:13 MDT 2007

Brandon Stout <bms at mscis.org> writes:

> Has anyone experienced a good CS program that promotes Open Source, or
> at least a contrast of MS against OS?  That's what I'd like to hear
> about.

I have experience with both BYU and UVSC CS programs.  As Michael
said, BYU is more focused on theory, but at least when I was there, I
got some serious programming projects as well.  UVSC is lighter on
theory, tending to focus a bit more on the practical side of things
and to not go as deep into the underlying theory.  The quality at UVSC
is a bit uneven, but as far as I understand, it's definitely on an
upward trend and there are some really excellent teachers and classes.

Both BYU and UVSC have used a variety of languages.  I can't speak for
what the BYU program uses now, but when I started there was a
combination of Apple, HP, and generic PC hardware and a variety of
operating systems.  Open Source wasn't really mainstream yet, but even
back then I was able to do some assignments in perl and python.  I
don't think I was forced to use any Microsoft products, but I've heard
some are required now.  I did have to buy Borland Pascal, though. :)

UVSC is very Microsoft-heavy, but due to accreditation policy, they
have to introduce more than a single OS and language.  In the upper
level courses, at least, I've been able to use whatever language and
OS I like for development, within reason.  I often have to
cross-compile to Windows to turn things in, though.  I haven't had a
big problem with it, but I'm not really a dogmatic anti-Microsoft
zealot either.

I should mention that one class at UVSC involves loading OpenWRT onto
routers and messing around with the routing tables and such.  Good
stuff. :)

                --Levi