proper disposal of a monitor

Brandon Stout bms at mscis.org
Mon Sep 24 15:16:01 MDT 2007

Steven Alligood wrote:
> OK, Guys.
>
> High school Electronics class.
>
> The "proper" method of disposing of a TV or monitor is to take off the
> outer case, then put it in a cardboard box (the thicker the cardboard,
> the better).  Push a crowbar down inside, close the flaps, turn your
> head away from the box, and break the neck with the crowbar.  (The
> neck is that rear part that gets skinny right before another board is
> connected to the rear of the picture tube).
>
> If the monitor or TV has been powered on in the last month or so, make
> sure to not touch anything anywhere near the flyback transformer
> (that's the part that looks like a little plunger on the tube).  In
> fact, you should probably remove the charge before you break the neck,
> which if you are not sure how to do it, seek help.  DO NOT do it with
> a screwdriver, as you can blow the end off the screwdriver and cause
> serious damage to you and other things nearby.  You need a proper kit
> that has resistance built in and a proper ground.
>
> Once dischanged properly and the neck broken, you should be able to
> put it in any dumpster or garbage can (check local ordinances for your
> city).
>
> Basically, if you are not sure, find someplace that claims they will
> dispose of TVs.  I think the transfer station in Springville will do
> it, but you should call before hauling it all down there.
>
> -Steve

Alternatively:

Put on an all-black outfit, and cover your face with soot.  Go outside
at night like this, carrying the monitor in a box - painted black.  Drop
off black box in a random dumpster.  Go home and take a shower to wash
soot off face.

No need to pay for disposal this way.  No need to risk touching a
plunger in a monitor with potential 10,000 - 20,000 volts ready to rock
through your body without prejudice.

Seriously, DON'T break your monitor or TV unless you are really
trained.  In addition, don't dispose of it yourself, there are other
toxins than just the voltage, such as Mercury.

Brandon Stout
http://mscis.org