proper disposal of a monitor

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Mon Sep 24 15:08:24 MDT 2007

OK, Guys.

High school Electronics class.

The "proper" method of disposing of a TV or monitor is to take off the
outer case, then put it in a cardboard box (the thicker the cardboard,
the better).  Push a crowbar down inside, close the flaps, turn your
head away from the box, and break the neck with the crowbar.  (The neck
is that rear part that gets skinny right before another board is
connected to the rear of the picture tube).

If the monitor or TV has been powered on in the last month or so, make
sure to not touch anything anywhere near the flyback transformer (that's
the part that looks like a little plunger on the tube).  In fact, you
should probably remove the charge before you break the neck, which if
you are not sure how to do it, seek help.  DO NOT do it with a
screwdriver, as you can blow the end off the screwdriver and cause
serious damage to you and other things nearby.  You need a proper kit
that has resistance built in and a proper ground.

Once dischanged properly and the neck broken, you should be able to put
it in any dumpster or garbage can (check local ordinances for your city).

Basically, if you are not sure, find someplace that claims they will
dispose of TVs.  I think the transfer station in Springville will do it,
but you should call before hauling it all down there.

-Steve